- It’s up!
- The Loch Raven Review (https://thelochravenreview.net), Baltimore, has accepted “Benson & Hedges,” a short memoir about high school, cigarettes and bullying, not necessarily in that order, for its November issue. Thanks, LR Review! Look forward to seeing it. Here was my pitch:
School shootings. So tragic, so senseless.
Not for the kids being shot up. Not for the shooter either.
But that’s not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about hitchhiking to Baltimore Lutheran Junior & Senior High School senior year smoking Benson & Hedges 100s Menthol.
Not shooting bullies. Just crippling them for life. That’s far more sensible.
- My first TV interview on “PP&MM” with Paul Pepper! Airs later in June. Hope I did ok. It’s all one take. http://kbia.org/programs/radio-friends-paul-pepper#stream/0
- Now available at Yellow Dog Bookshop! You can buy “Peter Pike and the Murderous Mormons” in paperback at Yellow Dog Bookshop, 8 S 9th St.,Columbia, MO. Walk in; call (573) 442-3330 to reserve your copy; or give Joe & Kelsey a shout on Facebook Messenger: @yellowdogbookshop.
- Great profile of me and my new book in the Columbia Daily Tribune, written by Aarik Danielsen. Author photo by Stacie Pottinger; book cover by Valerie Cummins Kisling.
“… with ‘Peter Pike,’ he (Fandek) walks up to the precipice of accepted American narrative and points out just a little of what lies beyond it.”
Read it here: Unlikely story: Novelist writes at intersection of mystery, history
- It’s official! I’m legit. “Peter Pike and the Murderous Mormons” is in the Columbia Public Library. https://dbrl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/752603018
- I will read from “Peter Pike and the Murderous Mormons” at Orr Street Studios, May 3, 5-7 p.m., 106 Orr St, Columbia, Mo. Reception follows. Please attend if you can! (See more under May events below.)
- Book signing, Saturday, Aug. 25, 1-3 p.m., Quincy Books, Quincy Mall (Illinois). “Peter Pike” is set in a fictionalized Quincy. Please come if you can! Quincy is full of history from ancient Indians to Lincoln debates and Victorian mansions.
- Stop by my author’s table at the Unbound Book Festival, Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., April 21, 2018, on the stage in the Kimball Ballroom, Stephens College campus, Columbia, MO. Unbound is a book festival which celebrates literature of all kinds. Nationally recognized and bestselling authors across different genres flock to mid-Mo. to discuss their work and participate in a variety of events. It’s the third annual of this event.
- Book Launch Party! May 3, 2018, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Orr Street Studios, 106 Orr Street in Columbia, MO. A special guest and I will be reading from “Peter Pike and the Murderous Mormons”; we’ll have food; and I’ll be happy to sign books and answer questions. The kind folks at Yellow Dog Bookshop will be on hand with plenty of copies.